The Shakespeare Inn was built in the late 1940's. The building was originally intended to be used as a ladies hostel that would service the steel industry at ISCOR.
However, 1949 it opened as a Castle/Lion Hotel. During the years between then and 1986 it operated under the name 'The Park Hotel'.
Originally owned by the castle/Lion Group (now SAB Miller) and in accordance with the Monopolies Act the building was sold to VESCO and the business and operation of the hotel as sold to a private concern. The present owners, the Greeff Family, bought the company on April Fool's Day 1979. They then bought the building from VESCO in 1986 at which time 'The Park Hotel' became 'The Shakespeare Inn'.